HAAM has a collection of almost 250 books and DVD’s, covering various topics of interest to humanists, atheists, skeptics, and science aficionados. Our librarians are Adrianna Sedlak and Laura Stephens. Books may be borrowed at any time by PAID MEMBERS ONLY. Upon request, they can be brought to any meeting or event, or borrowed at other times by arrangement.
A list of the items in our library, in alphabetical order by title, can be found on the BOOK TABLE page. Note that the Book Table is for information purposes only; the actual books in our library may not be exactly as shown (eg. hardcover vs paperback, or a particular edition). Browse though the list, and if you see something that looks interesting, click on the book cover to learn more about it or ask to borrow it.
If you are looking for something specific, take a look at our library sorted by AUTHOR or by SUBJECT. But keep in mind that some items may fall into more than one category, or be hard to classify, so check multiple categories or browse the BOOK TABLE. (Note that recently added books, listed below, may not yet be included in these charts.)
The Eastman Humanist Community (EHC), based in Steinbach, also has a library, and HAAM has recently reached an agreement to allow inter-library loans between our two groups.
If you are a paid HAAM member, and our library doesn’t have the book you are looking for, you are welcome to check out the EHC’s library as well. If they have something that you would like to borrow, contact HAAM. We will make arrangements with the EHC to obtain the item for you the next time someone from either group is traveling between Steinbach and Winnipeg.
Thanks to HAAM’s past-president Jeff Olsson for donating these books
- Scott Adams – God’s Debris: A Thought Experiment
- Philip Athans – How to Start Your Own Religion – Form a Church, Gain Followers, Become Tax-Exempt, and Sway the Minds of Millions in Five Easy Steps
- Howard Bloom – Global Brain – The Evolution of Mass Mind from the Big Bang to the 21st Century
- William Calvin – How Brains Think – Evolving Intelligence, Then And Now
- Richard Dawkins – Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing
- Bart Ehrman – Lost Scriptures
- Daniel Goleman – Vital Lies, Simple Truths – The Psychology of Self-Deception
- Henry Gordon – ExtraSensory Deception (ESP, psychics…)
- Christopher Hitchens – Letters to a Young Contrarian
- Edward Hudgins – An Objectivist Secular Reader
- Paul Johnson – Psychology of Religion
- Mario Livio – Brilliant Blunders: From Darwin to Einstein – Colossal Mistakes by Great Scientists that Changed Our Understanding of Life and the Universe
- Gary Marcus – Kluge – The Haphazard Construction of the Human Mind
- David Niose – Nonbeliever Nation
- Carl Sagan – Broca’s Brain – Reflections on the Romance of Science
- Carl Sagan – Comet
- Carl Sagan – Cosmic Connection – An Extraterrestrial Perspective
- Carl Sagan – Varieties of Scientific Experience – A Personal View of the Search for God
- Michael Shermer – The Science of Good and Evil – Why People Cheat, Gossip, Care, Share, and Follow the Golden Rule
- Wayne Teasdale – Mystic Heart – Discovering Spirituality in all the World’s Religions
Creator and the Cosmos: How the Latest Scientific Discoveries Reveal God