Dying With Dignity
In this issue:
- A Life Membership Presentation
- Conversations with Believers
- Outreach reports
- Update on medically assisted dying
- and more….
- Our Atheist Bible Study wraps up
- We Stand With Planned Parenthood
- Reactions to the Refugee Crisis
- and more…
Members of the Winnipeg chapter of Dying with Dignity will present this 2-hour class on how to fill out your ACP (AKA a health care directive or living will). Most of the information is on patient rights in Manitoba, defining your wishes, how to choose a proxy in the event you can’t speak for yourself, and what you need to know if you are the proxy.
Don’t assume that just because your spouse knows your wishes that that’s what will happen in an emergency; the best way to prepare yourself and your family is to be informed! Everything you need will be provided, just bring a pen and paper if you want to take notes.
Please RSVP so that we can have enough materials on hand.
Copies of the free ACP are available on the DWD website.
Please join us for a Day of Action and Solidarity for the right to die with dignity in Canada.
We will rally together and advocate for fair and compassionate access to physician assisted death for all eligible Canadians. Our collective voices must be heard by both provincial and federal levels of government as we urge all of our legislators to commit to upholding the spirit and letter of the Carter decision for the right to die with dignity.
The Winnipeg group will meet at the statue in front of the Law Courts at 408 York Ave. The media will likely be there, wanting to talk to people about their stories. Bring a friend! Yellow scarves will be available for sale for $5 if you wish to show your solidarity with the issue of patient rights at end of life.
If you’re interested in talking about end-of-life issues, feel free to join the Dying With Dignity Winnipeg chapter meeting, which is open to the public and free of charge.
We’ll update you on what’s happening with the latest (proposed) assisted death guidelines in Manitoba, and the objecting religious doctors refusing to refer patients to doctors who will provide the service.
Fully accessible; free parking in the lot.
Please RSVP so we have some idea of how many to expect.
- Updates on the stories we’ve been following on religion in our public institutions,
- Details about all our upcoming events (including speakers who will be appearing at our River City Reasonfest conference in September), and
- A link to view the presentation on the Ethics of Religion if you missed it at our May meeting.
April can bring daffodils or blizzards and just about everything in between! But don`t miss out on the latest news. In this month`s newsletter we get details on our April meeting, learn about a call to action here in Winnipeg regarding the Child Evangelism Fellowship in local schools, and learn which book we`re recommending this month.
We’re busier than a hive of bees this March. We’re got a book club, our regular monthly meeting, and a secular parenting group meeting.
So, don’t miss out on a single word!
- Our October meeting was chilling and spooky. (Member Heather M. in the picture to the right)
- What is the Faith response to Dying with Dignity? Find out in this month’s issue.
- Allan Gregg talks religion and reason at the U of W.
- Our November meeting focus is all about YOU!
- Find out what atheists do at book clubs and round tables…
Click below and read the November newsletter!
- Our buses are still roaming the city streets, but they won’t be around much longer! Find out who won a prize for the first picture submitted.
- A.C. Grayling was a hit with HAAM. Find out about his visit to Winnipeg.
- Learn more about what Arthur Schafer has to say on the topic of dying with dignity.
- And much more…
Go ahead! Click and read the October newsletter!
- Canadian Blood Services is on high alert – and donations are urgently needed. HAAM is part of the Partners for Life program. Find out how you can make your blood donation count.
- We’re doing it! Making our dream of a Winnipeg Atheist bus advertising campaign a reality!
- In September, Dying With Dignity is holding a special presentation.
Find out more in the August newsletter